Sunday, August 17, 2008

Without Ever Having

I remember my hair feeling short
on my shoulders and eating
currants on the train to your village. The
windows filled with the mountains and
trees of your country. I did not
know the trees of your country.
When I woke I was riding through
fields of oats. There were small
houses with vegetable plots. There
were horses. The rails curled and hummed
under the car. A young woman with two
children shared her tea, but we could not speak.
I did not know her words. She pointed and
showed me how she made her children's hats.
They were beautiful.

When I arrived at the station,
you were not there. We later understood
the time charts were not reliable; I
was early. When you arrived, you held my
arm and carried my things. The walk
was short. I was your wife.

Our house was at the bottom of
the road. The kitchen had a
coal stove and I learned the ways
of your country. Your cousin took me
to the market until I knew the way.
You worked. I learned the vegetables
and how to grow them. I cut
the dead wood out of the fruit trees.
This was the life we promised each other.
There was no false.

After two years you took me into
the mountains to teach me the
names of the trees. You said this was
the last thing to learn. We walked, and when
you put your hand on a tree you said
it's name. I followed you and touched
the trees you touched. I said the
names with my breath.

When I knew them all we sat down
and did not speak. We had met.
We had all our words together.

The years have went away.
They are gone. Our house
is at the bottom of the road.
It is a short walk.

I can go no longer
into the mountains. I cannot
touch the names of the trees.
I cannot sit in the place we sat; where
we ruined words.

The world was
tame that day. Now
it pulls at the rope.
It contends the lead.
I am letting go of the
words and the shapes.

7 comments:

Charmi said...

Thanks for inviting me over, DS. Are you really in Winamac? There's a great biking trail there!

Extra Gravy said...

Something about the start was a little awkward but I think it was just me getting into the rhythm. As it progressed I really started to feel it. Wow. I liked that one so much.

Extra Gravy said...

I have an exclamation point phobia, so I'm entering a second comment to highlight the fact that I really liked that poem. A lot.

ds said...

thanks, tm.

joaquin carvel said...

this is amazing - rich and vibrant and raw and broken and unsentimental. i am missing something with the title, but that is probably more to do with me than it. it ties together beautifully through the trees, and the simplicity of the language is perfectly suited. also, i liked it.

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Amazingly and prophetically beautiful. Well done, DS. This is among my faves from you.

Only one question: is the repetition of "was" in the first stanza intentional? -- "I was was riding"

ds said...

thirdworst - thanks very much. I felt like I hit a lot of stuff I've aimed at previously with this one. - and totally missed the was was. written late at night when could not sleep without edit. will fix. all - please disregard was was. forget about it. please read as if it were otherwise perfect. thanks all for comments.
- jc - thanks for checking us out. thanks for the critique and post. accurate.