Monday, December 15, 2008

beginning dance

sitting across from you
after work

my knees hurt
my shins sing
a violin concerto

talking & listening
eating burgers
that could be worse
but could also be much
better

its windy &
rainy outside
tv's blare a
football game
inside

we just yack away;
i watch your fingers
& hands & i watch mine, too--

i play with the brown napkin
under my water glass:
i roll the corner of the
napkin then
unroll & rub my
finger over it trying
to smooth it out

& listen as you talk
about who you are,
where you've been
& what you're all

about

6 comments:

ds said...

that's very nice. that bit about rolling and unrolling the napkin is very good. nice details. I will have to figure out a way to steal it.

loofrin said...

ds, thanks for the encouragement. i'm glad someone reads and likes my stuff.

Extra Gravy said...

I liked the end - the last paragraph and the way you moved the last word to its own line.

Did you debate with yourself about that or is that just how it "came out"?

loofrin said...

Extra, if you look at some of the stuff i have posted here you'll notice that i tend to put the last word of a poem on its own line. i actually didn't realize i did that until i went back through here, myself, and looked at some of my other poems.

thank you for your kind words. that was pretty much the first draft.

Alijah Fitt said...

are you dating?

loofrin said...

no, not dating, but "talking," i guess is the proper phrase.