Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gleaming Des Moines

If thoughts were donkeys
-no wait, they are, I mean
If thoughts were like
Branches on a
-no.
If they were all teeth, nothing but teeth
Gnashing in a still pond.
Yes, teeth in a pond gnashing towards
A meaning.
They would gnash that I
Would be gone from here.
Mount up all the goods in my
Vehicular body, and drive
Home to Iowa.

Does Iowa still love me?
In its mountains and waterfalls
Deserts Precambrian history
Mango orchards and Pacific coasts
It does,
But in its guilt wracked Des Moines
I find nothing I know nothing.

So, now back into the creep of fiction.
Thoughts like cartoons with their
Jellybean bodies which is
This place I know better.
The falling rain is only burning and hot
Little stars. Night
Is the dark room at the center of the house.
No happy visit for me to Iowa’s city, just
This lonely acre with its gnashing
Mouthful of wind.

No comments: