Wednesday, September 26, 2007

This one has really been a favorite of mine for a while now, sorry it's not new

The Glare of the Sun on the Water

Momma don't afford us a
Babysitter, but in the summer she
Lets us a pass to O’Connors
Pool. She is nice.
I hold Cody’s
Hand when we cross Washington, and
Ninth, and Huntington. He barks
At the chained-up dogs. I
Tell him its mean.
I worry about him.
I worry about him when I
Go to the girl’s room and
He changes in the
Boy’s room. There’s older boys in there
And they’re mean. We
Meet outside the
Snackbar and find a place to
Put our towels.

The water is warm, and alive. If you
Go under you can hear the
Kicking and splashing. I can’t
Open my eyes underwater, but
Cody can and he says it’s cool. I jump
Off the middle diving board, and sometimes
The short one. They’re both too
High for Cody. He watches
Me dive. I watch him do
Cannon-balls by the ladder.
It’s like the water
Swallows him up. He
Comes back up all
Smiley and blinking.
He kicks with his arms.

Today Cody got in a fight with
Russel. They used to be
Friends but they aren’t anymore.
Russel’s mean. And the lifeguard’s mean.
She made Cody go home. He was
Crying. I walked him through the
Girls room so nobody would see.
Cody didn’t bark at the chained-up
Dogs. He was nice. I held his
Hand across Huntington and Ninth
And Washington, and down the
Sidewalks too.

When we got home Irving was
Awake and smoking and watching TV.
He was mad. He don’t like us
There. Cody tried to tell him what
Happened, and I said it wasn’t his
Fault. Irving didn’t listen.

Irving’s not nice, and he’s
Worse than mean. I don’t know
What he done. Cody cried.
And Irving wouldn’t let
Mommy near him. I snuck in his
Room after everybody was
Asleep and Cody was quiet.
He was so cold. I whispered that
Everything would be alright tomorrow.
That I wouldn’t let
Russel or Irving near him, that I’d watch his
Cannon-ball, that we could
Split a coke.

The next morning they wouldn’t let me
Go to the pool. They said something
Happened, but wouldn’t tell me what it was.
The lady, Mrs. Caston, said
We had to go. We drove down Washington,
And Ninth, then Columbian, then Lincoln.
Then a whole bunch of streets
I don’t know. I tried to tell her that the
Car was big and there was room in back
For Cody. She really didn’t say
Much, but I think she was nice.
I think she wanted to say more.

The ride was quiet, and long.
I thought of the water, and the
Anxious hands breaking the still.

ds

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

What a wonderful -- sad -- story.