Monday, June 9, 2008

How To

14 minutes later I got
Up out of bed with the
Poem in my teeth and
Spit it onto the angry paper.
I brushed my teeth.

Poems have no use in the
Teeth. Their importance is an
Elsewhere full of different.

Now my sleep’s no good, not
With a head full of poems and
Stern contradiction.

These words are train tracks. My body
Is a horrible steam engine: outdated.
The switchman’s shack is on fire.
The engineer is unfamiliar
With the wrench.
The brakeman stares at a metric
Conversion table befuddled.

Everyone has a part unknowable
To anyone else. This is my mountain
I’m sliding down.
It is unlucky to address it when
You see the water
Passing over me in the ravine.

1 comment:

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

And again: such clear images with a few words. The poem in the teeth, etc.