Thursday, January 3, 2008

the moment of today

Maybe I'm not cut out
for work. Drink drink
drink. The nurse called tonight and
somebody else
has cancer. Drink drink drink.
In his guts and liver and lymphs -
maybe a few weeks left. Drink
drink drink. This is one of the
first guys I met at work. We
went fishing and talked about
girls and complained to
eachother. The worst kind of
cancer. Drink drink drink.
I know his family.
Drink drink drink.
Tomorrow it's my job to tell people
he's going.
Tell everyone he
lives with. Drink
drink drink.
He smiled and laughed today in
the hospital. I'm not sure I'm
up for
this. Drink drink.
Drink.

So I'm getting drunk. It's Thursday.
Long weekend ahead.

You know his family doesn't want
to tell him? They don't
want
him to know he's dying.

We went fishing and
talked about girls.

Drink.
Nobody died at my old job, no
matter how much I wanted
them to. Drink drink.

I'm going to sleep. In
the morning I'll do
my terrible work.

He's dying; I'm not.

3 comments:

Alijah Fitt said...

I'd be drinking too-sorry

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

Again, sorry to hear about this. Wish I could console with alcohol too but for whatever reason it just doesn't work for me.

ds said...

try more of it.