Saturday, December 29, 2007

waiting

part i
there is no wish like
the wish for people

no disappointment
like those who never come

like christmas, years ago,
waiting for a knock at the door

"he'll be there around 1"
they said to me

"make sure you're home"

and so i waited for the knock
and opened my door

not to a man, but a mattress,
a gift without presence

(the irony of all cruel
ironies)

part ii
and i think about that now,
the disappointment,

seeing you last night
in the middle of sleep:

coming home from home
to spend our holy day

(the new year)

together

i wake up on that same,
once new mattress

alone

(the irony of my
ironies)

still waiting for you

part iii
bleary-eyed
i reach for my glasses
and wait for the world
to focus

in



i have waited my life away

4 comments:

loofrin said...

that last sentence is a doosie. this one is sad and longing. beautiful

ds said...

yeah, well, fuck. then remember how damnit much you liked them both once.

not kids anymore. never thought you would be like the people in the books. it was always romantic when it was them. now it's just waking up and not thinking about where you hid the gun from yourself.

Alijah Fitt said...

Oh oh, maybe it's time for a little visit with the shrink? A little Zoloft maybe. Gut wrenchingly depressing, which I suppose is a good thing for a heart break poem.

Extra Gravy said...

I echo disgruntled world citizen in praising the final line.

An emotion was communicated. I felt it. I then got up to walk around; shaking it off.