Thursday, December 20, 2007

What the boy said

This is the song they taught us -

I honor the fast and my hair is
dark. When I am old enough my beard
Will sleep on my chest. Mother cooks bread
in the morning and stew in the evening.
Father does not drink or smoke.
All my brothers have done as they were told.
All my sisters will have many children.
I visit my uncles in the spring.

I lean numbers from school and
words from the book.

I honor the fast and my hair is
dark. Follow the road out
of town and past the wells. Go beyond the
date palms. On the left is the plot where they
dry dates. Turn there. Over the
hills is the place of the Godless men.
I will know the place when I
see it. Take the heavy car to the gate
and God will be with me.

I learn numbers from school and
words from the book.

I honor the fast and my hair is
dark. God will keep me.
There will be no pain. Do not
have fears. I do not do this for me;
it is for God and the world.
I will gaze upon the face of God
eternally. My people will sing verses
about me. The men will mourn me and the
women will lament me. I will sit on the
eternal side of God, the place without
numbers or words.

2 comments:

Alijah Fitt said...

You silly child
you misunderstand me
i wish you wouldn't
i wish you could
-God

thirdworstpoetinthegalaxy said...

I wish this was mine.